Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Needing a Change

Today REALLY felt like spring. The sun was mostly shining, it was warm out (we hit 60ºF!), and it seemed like a perfect day to find bugs. The bugs disagreed, however, and other than a lot of flies that didn't want their pictures taken, there were not many bugs around today. There were, however, a lot of spiders, and that made me happy (I don't care if that makes me sound weird).

Backyard Bug of the Day:
I found two of these tiny beetles, on different trees. This one posed very nicely.

This one crawled into a crack in the tree bark.

Other Bugs:
Can you see the tiny bug?

Tiny moth (about 1/4 inch long) on the side of the house.

I did see a few birch catkin bugs, one of them crawling on my husband's shoulder.

Sigh... I am tired of seeing the same bugs every day. I need some new bugs.

Warm temperatures make the sap flow, and the ants were out in force to collect it.


Moth attracted to the porch light.

Plume moth, also attracted to the porch light, but not so closely as the one above.

The jumping spiders were out in abundance today; I saw several on the side of the house in different places. Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Jumping spider missing the two front legs on its left side. I wonder how that affects its ability to jump.




Spider trying to look like a leaf bud.

I saw quite a few of these little orb weavers, too.

The snake was back today. I scared it back into its hole twice, and both times it came back out. The last time I saw it, it slowly made its way down its little hill, and sat there for a while. When I went back to check on it again, it was gone.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Curled up in kind of a figure 8 today.

On the move...



No comments:

Post a Comment