Thursday, March 15, 2018

Short Sleeves

I didn't really feel like doing a bug walk today, for a variety of reasons, but primarily because I didn't think I would find much, and certainly not anything different or interesting, but I went out anyway. I was right, there were hardly any bugs outside, and those I found were the same ones I have been seeing, but I was really glad that I went out. It was a beautiful day, kind of chilly, but sunny, and there's something so wonderful about feeling the cold, but also the warmth of the sun on your skin at the same time (because of course I was not wearing a jacket, and had on a short-sleeved t-shirt). It was great to just be outside, and since I couldn't find any bugs, it was pretty much like I was just outside for the sake of being outside. I don't really do that very often anymore, and I should. Everyone should, if they can. Even if it's cold, or snowing, or no matter what kind of weather (as long as it's not dangerous). Go out and experience it. Feel it on your skin.

I have to admire the resilience and determination of spring. As the snow melts, flowers still in bloom are exposed:
 These are the creeping myrtle flowers in the rock garden that always bloom first up against the foundation of the house where it's warmer.

As for bugs:
 I found snow fleas again, on the same rock where I found them last week (or was it the week before). I have kept looking for them there, and have not been able to find them again, until today. I still haven't seen any of them on snow, though (and the snow has melted all around the rocks there).

I didn't see many winter fireflies today...
... so I thought maybe they were all hiding, and better than this one managed.

No comments:

Post a Comment