Friday, October 28, 2016

Whoosh

I don't really have anything to say today, other than that there was a surprising variety of insects and spiders in the backyard. It was a tiny bit warmer than yesterday (though painfully windy), but I still didn't expect to see much.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 I don't know what it is. It sort of looks like a springtail, but way bigger. Which isn't saying much, springtails are tiny. A new species for me, which is always great, and rarer all the time.

Random Bugs:
 This was a surprise find - candy striped leaf hopper. Usually I only see these when it's 60ºF or warmer. And they've been pretty scarce this year anyway.


 Case moth caterpillar. This is the first one of these I have seen this year; usually they are all over the goldenrod plants at this point. This one was on a chair, but it looks like its case was made of goldenrod fluff.

 Tree cricket

Another tree cricket

 Some kind of cocoon

 Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 Jumping spider

 I found this spider under the rain gauge when I emptied it (a little less than 1 3/4 inches of rain yesterday/last night). This is the same species of spider that has lived under the rain gauge in past winters.


No comments:

Post a Comment