Saturday, October 8, 2016

Loopy

Today was a very different kind of day in the backyard. It was gloomy and humid. It is a good thing that I did my bug walk a little early, because unexpectedly it started to rain in the afternoon. I have just about given up on weather forecasts.

I didn't find much, but I did find something new, which makes up for it.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 
 This caterpillar was about half an inch long. It moved like a looper, so I guess it is one, but it has a stockier body than I usually see in loopers. I tried to find it in the book, and didn't see one that looked like it.



 I moved it to a rock to get a better look at it. It was not overjoyed.

It picked up a little something - a VERY little something.

 I think this must have been on the rock, and it got stuck on the caterpillar when it rolled over.

 The mite, or whatever it is, did fall off.

Random Bugs:
 This white hickory tussock moth caterpillar was sitting right in the middle of the path.

 Rove beetle. These have been very scarce this year.

 Wasp

 Different wasp



 A lot of these leaf miner caterpillars dropping from the trees again.

 Side view

This one landed, but I don't think the caterpillar like the spot, because it didn't stay there.

This one has been attached to the tree for weeks. I don't know if the mature moth eclosed, or if something else broke into it.

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.





No comments:

Post a Comment