Saturday, October 1, 2016

A Gift

Yesterday was my birthday, and Mother Nature gave me a gift: a day off. It rained all day, so I couldn't go out with my camera. I didn't even go in the backyard at all - though later, when I was getting ready to go to bed, I felt like I missed it. Even after raining all day we got less than a half inch of rain, though. And what's kind of maddening is, it's mostly drizzly rain that we get, and I am perfectly happy to go outside in that kind of rain, and even enjoy it, but it's not good weather for the camera. And all that for half an inch of rain. That is not going to make a dent in this drought. I think that yesterday was the first time this entire year that I have not been able to go out at all with my camera. On the few rainy days we've had, it's never rained all day; it has always let up at some point so I was able to go out with my camera.

Today was rainy, too, and I only got part way through the yard on my bug walk before it started up again, so I didn't see much.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 It was cold today, too, so the bees (what few I saw), were kind of lethargic.


 This one didn't even seem to mind an ant poking it in the eye.

Random Bugs:
 Fly

 White hickory tussock moth caterpillar. It was on the move, and pretty slowly. That could be because of the cold, because usually these can travel pretty fast.

 Just the other day I posted a couple of pictures of these tiny hoppers and said I would probably not get any more pictures of them this fall, and today I got two more.


 It was a wet day, so there were sowbugs, but not as many as I would have expected to see with so much dampness.

 Hopper

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.



No comments:

Post a Comment