Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Among the Thorns

Oops - I didn't notice the time, I am really late getting started on this. Well, it doesn't matter, there's not much to say - there were hardly any bugs out today.

Backyard Bug of the Day Backyard Co-Bug of the Day #1:
 Dragonfly. I think it's in the darner family, but I can't match the species to anything in my bug book. This was a really big one. And I want you to know that in order to take this picture I had to climb into a thorn bush, and at the moment this was taken I had at least 6 thorns jabbing me in my legs.

This is what the birds and squirrels were after in the dogwood tree. There's not many left.

Random Bugs:
 Another pair of affectionate grasshoppers

 Cranefly

 I think this one might be a new one for me. It should probably be Backyard Co-Bug of the Day... Okay, this is Backyard Co-Bug of the Day #2. It looks like a Hemiptera, and might be an assassin bug, but I can't identify the species from my book.

 Katydid

 Oh, you know what this is by now... but in case anyone is reading this blog for the first time, it's a white hickory tussock moth caterpillar

 Moth on the picnic umbrella

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 Crab spider traveling along a thread among the grass


This was taken at night (lit by the porch light and the ring flash), spotted crawling through the grass at the bottom of the back porch steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment