Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Two Cold

I was hoping it would rain all day so that I would have an excuse to not go outside to do a bug walk. It was cold today. Ironically, today's high temperature in the upper 40s would have seemed warm two months ago, but two days last week were in the 80s, so now temperatures in the 40s are cold (For a frame of reference, normal for this time of year is low to mid 60s). It did rain, a little, including when I went outside grudgingly to look for bugs, because the weather is just plain obnoxious, but it wasn't enough to give me an excuse to just skip the whole thing. I fully expected to find no bugs.

I wasn't far off.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 I have seen these around for the last couple of days, and I think I have seen male and female specimens - I think the insect caught in the screen door the other day was a male, and this is a female. What am I basing this on? Nothing, really, it's just a guess, based on things they have in common, and things that are different. This one, and the others I think are female, have bigger bodies, which seems to be a common type of sexual dimorphism in insects. And the males have bigger eyes, which I have also seen in other insect species. I couldn't find these in my books, however, so it really is just a huge guess, and nothing you should be taking as fact.

 Here is the other bug I saw today. I think it was huddled against the cold.

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I found this spider under a piece of wood. Also huddling against the cold - and pretending to be invisible.

No comments:

Post a Comment