Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Ephemeral

Have you ever had one of those day where you wake up in the morning and see that it is gloomy and raining outside, and probably cold (which you can't tell just by looking out the window from under the blankets in your warm bed, but you can just imagine), so you just don't want to get out of bed at all?

I think the bugs in the backyard had that kind of day, and they didn't get out of bed.

We have a freeze warning for overnight tonight, but hey, the bluets are blooming, and they're spring ephemerals, so it must be spring, right? Or maybe it is spring that is ephemeral.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Springtail. They don't mind the cold (as much) and they like the wet weather, so I am surprised that there are not a lot of them out and about, but I only saw this one.

And that's it for bugs today. I saw a couple of gnats, but that's all.

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 Really tiny spider with a cool pattern on its back...

 ... and something else on its back, too. It looks like a larval parasite of some kind...

 Zoomed-in look at the thing on the spider's back. Definitely looks like a larva.

2 comments:

  1. I love the photos. And to answer your question, yes I have those days often :) Greetings from Germany :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings to you! I am glad you like the photos. Ah, those cold, rainy days...

    ReplyDelete