Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Disgruntlement

I find this weather irritating.

 The daffodils agree. This weather is annoying.

Not that it snowed yesterday (and the day before) but that it is so cold. I don't want to be this cold. It's April. It doesn't matter that it was warmer than usual almost the entire winter, that is no excuse for it to be so cold now. If it wanted to snow, fine, but then it should have warmed up for the day after. Like, maybe into the 60s. As it was, we made it to 41ºF for a brief time in the afternoon, but most of the day was in the 30s, and it was windy. Thank goodness for the sunshine, which at least melted the rest of the snow on the driveway that we didn't shovel last night. And by the end of the day at least half of the rock garden had been released from the snow.

This obviously was not the end of the day.

I probably shouldn't be surprised that I found a Backyard Bug of the Day:
But I am. The temperature was in the 30s when I went out with my camera. I didn't even have the macro lens on because I wasn't looking for bugs, I was looking for interesting snow things. And here was this midge, on the snow. Props to you, midge, for being so hardy.

I found a couple of winter fireflies, too:

This one was even moving around a bit, not in a stupor from the cold.

I also found this on a tree; no idea what it is. And yes, this was taken with the macro lens - I went out later in the afternoon with that lens, and while I did see another winter firefly (well, actually, one of the same two winter fireflies), I didn't see any other bugs at that time.

But it would appear that there were other animals in the backyard after the snow. I think this is a coyote footprint. Or somebody's dog was wandering around my yard last night. But I think it was a coyote. It wandered all over the yard, and went off into the woods.

And birds, of course.

Squirrel. It almost looks like a butterfly.

Still, in spite of the snow, there are signs of spring:

Like nature saying, "You can't keep me down."

And you do get some fun juxtapositions.

But I want springtime back. For real.



No comments:

Post a Comment