Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Shapes in the Fog

I joke around about how impressed you should be that I am able to find tiny insects that blend in with their surrounding, because tiny things are hard enough to see, right? Well, can you see the deer in this picture?
 That would be deer as in plural. There are three of them. I don't know why I am asking, I know you can't see them, because I can't see them and I know where they are.

 Here. I should note that none of their heads are visible here. In fact, the one on the far left - that's its rump. The only reason I noticed there were deer out there today is because I saw them when they moved. Animals that big, and I couldn't even see them until they moved.

 Here's a different angle. Can you see them now? (There are only two in this shot).

 How about now?

As you can see from the above pictures, it was not a beautiful day in the backyard. It wasn't as cold as it has been, and so I discovered that my current threshold of discomfort is somewhere around 45ºF. Colder than that, and I am cold. Warmer than that and I am okay. Anyway, I didn't get to do a full bug walk, because once again it started to rain while I was out there, but most of the time it was just foggy and a bit misty.

You can probably guess that I didn't see a lot of bugs. I found a cocoon:

And a whatever this is:
 It sort of looks like a praying mantis egg case, but sort of not.

The tiny mushrooms that I found growing on a tree a while back are thriving in our recent wet weather:


 Which brings us to the only kind of bug I got pictures of today:
Can you find the springtail in this picture?

 How about the two in this picture?

 Okay, this one is more obvious.

 And this one.

I don't remember if I mentioned the other day that there was a lot of spider silk around the yard - not full webs, but threads going from plant to plant. Well, today, because it was misty, the web threads were covered with beads of water, which made them easier to see. And very pretty:
 All over the branches of trees I was these threads.




 The one real web I found.

So, I was wondering why there were threads all over, and how long they have been there. And if the spiders that built them were still around. Then, I found one. Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 This spider dropped down in front of my face on a thread. If it was trying to ambush me, it missed. I took its thread and transferred it to this branch. You can barely see it, it's just a blur in the background, but there is a springtail on the branch, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment