Thursday, December 24, 2015

Merry Christmas!

This is a busy time of year, and Christmas Eve is usually a very busy day. But one thing I don't usually have to make time for on December 24th is a bug walk. The average temperature for this date in Connecticut is 37ºF, too cold for bugs. But today... today was a record-setting day. I don't know what the high ultimately turned out to be, but it was about 30 degrees above average - in the mid-60s. So, I had to at least try to find some bugs. However, by the time I had a chance to go out, it was almost dark. Now, I didn't really expect to find anything, because the bugs are all behaving as they should according to the calendar, even if people's lawns are still growing and I have heard reports of trees beginning to bloom out of confusion. So don't think I had any miracles,  in spite of the spring warmth. All I found was springtails (it rained in the morning, and never really cleared up, so it was very damp outside), and I saw a spider, though it was too dark to get a picture of it by then. But I do have a couple of pictures of the springtails to show you, and then something else...

 I know, I know, I keep saying I am not going to keep posting springtails, but these were fun - there is a puddle on the front walk, and these springtails - about 50 of them - were walking around on the surface of the puddle. Or standing around, and the slight breeze would move them like they were skating. I even saw a few of them spring from the surface of the water. That was pretty neat to see.

 So cute...

Now, for something seasonal...

I recently read an article about Christmas traditions in different countries, and I found out that in Ukraine, people hang spider Christmas ornaments on their Christmas trees, as they are meant to give you good luck in the coming year. Sadly, the article didn't give any background on this tradition, or any explanation about why spiders are good luck, but I liked the idea, of course! This not being an American tradition, I was not able to find a spider ornament, so I had to make one. I tried to keep certain aspects of it arachnologically correct, the right number of body segments, eyes, legs, chelicerae, pedipalps... but it is a spider of my own design. At least, I am not aware of any real spiders with the design of holly leaves and berries on their back. So, here you have it, my Christmas Spider:
Merry Christmas to all, and may your spiders bring you good luck in the new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment