Monday, June 1, 2015

Summertime?

Evidently I was wrong last week when I said summer had arrived. Even though today was the second first day of summer of the year (meteorological summer, if you are keeping track), today was COLD. I don't know how cold, because my weather sensor chose to go on the fritz, but I don't think we even got out of the 50s. Hard to believe we flirted with 90ºF most of last week.

It rained, though, which is something of a relief.


When is a blueberry not a blue berry? When it's green.

The babies are awake:
And much featherier than they were even yesterday, it looks like. I would almost swear that if you could sit and watch them without being pecked to death by the parent birds, you would see them growing and changing before your eyes.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Some sort of beetle larva


 I found another one, too.

As the day was rainy, and SO COLD, most of the bugs decided not to come out today. I mostly found flies:


Hoverfly #1:

 It is usually difficult to get pictures of hoverflies, but today they just sat still and let me get close.

Hoverfly #2:


Hoverfly #3

A couple of beetles:


A couple of moths:
 This moth landed on the ground and the burrowed into the grass.


Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.


No comments:

Post a Comment