Sunday, May 31, 2015

Rise and Shine

The early bird may get the worm (ugh, why would you want that?), but the early bug hunter doesn't find very much. I had to do my bug walk at a time of day that is mostly theoretical in my usual life, and was disappointed to find that not many bugs are early risers. I can tell you who's a night owl, though - aside from actual owls. Three times in the wee small hours of the morning sirens went by down on the highway, and each time the young beasties in the woods set up a ruckus in response, howling and making other wild cries. I still don't know what their response is supposed to mean, but the sirens sure do get them riled up.

The robins have become very aggressive in defending their territory in front of the porch. If I go anywhere near the area - even on the side of the house, not even in front of the porch, they put up a stink and start diving at me. They only do it behind me, but I can hear them swooping down behind my head. It's a little bit unnerving - and unfair: this is MY HOUSE. That is MY PORCH! I made that wreath they built their nest upon. I think a little respect is owed here, especially since I was so nice about avoiding the area before the babies hatched. This is getting to be a bit irksome.

However, I did go out on the porch after all of this and take another picture. Funnily enough, they are not quite as aggressive when I am actually that close to the nest.
One of them has its eyes open.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 A curious caterpillar. I have not been able to find this in any of the books at my disposal, so I don't know what this is going to turn into eventually, but it is sure interesting now. What I don't think you will get from any of these pictures is that in person this is another one of those moths that look like bird poop. Not knowing what this is, I don't know what those spikes on the back are for, but I would guess they are just part of its attempt to look like something other than a caterpillar. There are some species of looper that stick things to themselves, bits of flowers or other plant matter, in order to blend in to their surroundings, but I think these spikes are just part of the caterpillar. Just in case they are venomous barbs I kept my fingers well out of reach, however.






Interesting eggs on the side of the house:

It would appear that weevils are the early risers among bugs on Sunday mornings:

 This one is about to do the tuck-and-roll-off-the-leaf maneuver. It is pulling its legs in.

 Those are just the ones that sat still for pictures.

Random Bugs:
 Plume moth on the bedroom wall

 Leaf hopper

 Assassin having breakfast


Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.



No comments:

Post a Comment