Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Eenie, Meenie, Miney, Moe...

I didn't have much trouble choosing a Backyard Bug of the Day today - I chose the only bug I saw. I jest - I actually saw five bugs. And I got pictures of three of them. I made several attempts at a bug walk today, but every time I went outside, it started raining again, and ultimately I wasn't able to survey the whole yard. So, there wasn't much competition, but there was a clear choice for Backyard Bug of the Day.

When we first bought the land for our house I used to call the property The Land of Ticks and Poison Ivy. Today I was thinking that Caterpillarville might be a better name, because I have found so many different species of caterpillars lately (another thing I should be keeping track of but am not). Another caterpillar was chosen for today's Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Copper underwing moth caterpillar

 Caterpillar Close-up


 This caterpillar exhibited some bizarre behavior. It appeared to be spitting up brown liquid.



Random Bugs:
 Crane fly... I think

 Ailanthus webworm moth

This cedar tree has so much cedar apple rust growing on it, it looks like a Christmas tree.
 A Christmas tree with ugly ornaments. I used to decorate this tree with edibles for the animals for Christmas, and then it got to be too tall for me. Hard to believe that 15 years ago this tree was about my height.

With two days worth of rain the cedar apple rust is back to its alien appearance.

Incidentally, we may have a low temperature in the 30s tonight. In June. The high today was about 52ºF. Summer is off to a weird start...

Sorry, didn't see any spiders today. No arachnids to appreciate.

No comments:

Post a Comment