Thursday, May 21, 2015

Don't Know Much About Entomology

I've had a long day, and I just don't remember what was going through my head as I did my bug walk today, so I don't have anything to say about it.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 This is a larva of some kind; my guess would be some kind of sawfly, because it looks and acts like other sawfly larvae, and it's not a caterpillar.

 Speaking of other sawfly larvae, here are some of the many on the bush out front. They are not doing good things for that bush.

 So far this is the most cooperative butterfly I have seen this year, but I am still not able to get a close look. There were a couple of these flying around today, and I was mightily impressed with their speed.

Cuckoo wasp

 This cranefly has great wings. After seeing a lot of cranflies for a while, this is the first one I have seen in a couple of weeks.

 This bee looks like it's snuggled in for a nap on this dandelion




 No, I did not squish this mosquito.


 I think this is another leaf hopper nymph.

 Honeysuckle borer.


Backyard Bug Behavior:
 I don't know what's going on here. I don't know if those tiny bugs are in any way connected to the bigger bugs. But what it looks like is an insect play date. The big insects are the parents, chatting, and the little ones are the toddlers playing together on the rug, except for that one that prefers to play by itself.

I found this grouping later. Different kind of insect, and no toddlers, but it was curious to find a similar arrangement.

Remember the case moth caterpillar from yesterday?
Today there were several on the same rock.

I took some video. To see a case moth caterpillar in action, click HERE.

Flora:
 It such a delight when a flower blooms that I didn't know was on the verge.

 Not an interesting plant, I am just posting this because it looks like a face wearing sunglasses.

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
The only spider I got today, but it's quite a handsome one.

No comments:

Post a Comment