Monday, April 27, 2015

Waspish

I had a theme for this blog hours ago when I was outside walking around the yard looking for bugs and contemplating buggish matters, but I forgot what my train of thought was about then, so let's just get to the pictures.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Some sort of wasp. It reminds me of the cuckoo wasp, but with different colors.


 There are many ways that insects communicate that they no longer wish to have their picture taken.

This wasp looks very similar, but the coloring is different.

More wasps, or things that look like wasps, or bees, at least:
 This could also be a sawfly. I really don't know. But it looks like a wasp.

 So many cute bug faces lately!


 No idea about this, either. Could be a wasp or bee, or some kind of fly.


 It doesn't look like it has a sting...




By my counts, there are about 45 billion ant holes in the yard at present.
 Okay, no, I have not counted them, and that is a massive exaggeration. But there are a lot of ant holes. I don't know if this is unusual, or if I have just not noticed them in other springs.



Remember yesterday I said my favorite kind of bug to photograph was bugs at eye level?
 Moth at eye level (on garden fence post)

 Moth on the ground.

 Violet!

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

 There is a spider in this picture. Can you see it?

 How about now?

 Now?

The rain gauge continues to be a popular hangout for spiders.

 The test of your mettle as a spider photographer is whether you stay cool when the spider you are up close to starts to move.


Look, spiders are more afraid of you than you are of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment