Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Speed Walk

It's a long story, but my walk was curtailed today, so I will never know the full bug potential of the day. The part of the day when I was outside was gorgeous - sunny and warm. It changed to cold and gloomy very quickly. Ah, weather.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 I don't know what it is, but it is tiny, and shiny, and really fast. (Three reasons for no really good pictures). It looks like a beetle of some kind.

 It was also feisty. It saw this mite walking by, charged it, grabbed it, and gave it a shake. I thought it was going to eat the mite, but it let the mite go (and naturally I missed the actual grab with my camera. Sigh. I do not have good timing).

 Quite iridescent - the color changes based on the angle of the light.

I took this one with the light on on the camera, because to get this close the bug was shaded from the sun. So the color looks a bit different.

I saw a lot of bees today, mostly on the daffodils:

 Did I say "on the daffodils"? That should be "in the daffodils".



 We need a better look at one of these bees...

 Here's the zoomed-in version. Wings ready to fly.


More things are sprouting out of the ground...
 Fern fiddleheads popping up. I've never seen this before.

 Dandelion sprout. The reason some of the leaves are broken off is because I ate them for dinner last night.

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
A two-fer. Can you see both spiders?

No comments:

Post a Comment