Sunday, April 12, 2015

Fortuitously Spotted

Today was an absolutely fabulous, perfect spring day! Warm, sunny, just the kind of weather that the bugs and I like. I spent the day elsewhere, so I don't know if the bugs spent it frolicking in my backyard or not. But before I left, I did find a Backyard Bug of the Day, fortuitously spotted on the trunk of a tree next to the driveway.

Backyard Bug of the Day:


Then there's this bug:
 It landed on my chest last night while I was writing my blog. Since it was after midnight it qualifies for today's blog. This is a stinkbug, by the way - a brown marmorated stinkbug, I think. Stinkbugs buzz when they fly, so you can imagine my reaction when this thing came flying at me and landed. I couldn't see what it was at the time, and there is a moment of panic when a buzzy thing you can't identify lands under your chin where you can't see it. Because bees and wasps buzz, and they also sting if you brush them away the wrong way. As it is I guess I am just lucky I didn't get stinkbombed. Anyway, this rude little critter (an actual bug - a Hemiptera) was sucked into the bug vacuum and released outside.

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

 The shed is next to the tree where I spotted today's Backyard Bug of the Day, and after I took the BBotD's picture, I spotted this spider on the shed.

Those black flies hang out on the shed a lot, and it looks like this jumping spider jumped at the chance to have one for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment