Friday, April 17, 2015

Anybody Out There?

I don't know why, but for the last few days, I have been having a hard time finding bugs in my backyard. I get that it's still just early spring, but the weather is warmer now than it was last week, and much warmer than it was before that, and there are more things in bloom, and yet I found more bugs a couple of weeks ago than I am finding now.

I almost went without a bug today, but I finally found a Backyard Bug of the Day just before going back into the house:
 I think this is a click beetle. I realize that I had a click beetle as BBotD a while back, but this one is definitely alive (that was not clear with the other one), and I think it is bigger than the other one was, so it counts as being different.

 Ah, the elytra are parting, so that means...

Getting ready to fly!

Which it did, just before I was able to click the shutter again.

I found a tiny fly on a daffodil, which was my other option for Backyard Bug of the Day, but I have seen so many flies like this lately that I just didn't want to go that route. Though this one is much smaller than the others:

Then I found some peculiar ants:
 This one just looks kind of weird, and is mostly strange in that it sat there to have its picture taken (it did move a little, so I know it was alive).

 This one is weird because it is missing its abdomen. However, it was walking around, which is pretty mind boggling. I don't know what part of an ant's anatomy is found in its abdomen, but this ant was walking around without it.

Here's a zoomed-in shot.

Now for the beauties of springtime plant life:
 Pussy willows

Female hazelnut flower

No spiders today, so no Arachnid Appreciation.

No comments:

Post a Comment