Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Starry, Starry Fly

 There are some bugs that I have such a hard time getting photos of that if I get a decent photo I make them Backyard Bug of the Day, no matter what else I find, although if I find something else good, I will have co-bugs, because I can't ever make those decisions. Today I got some pretty good shots of a bug that is hard to photograph, but it is also the only bug I got any pictures of, so by default it HAS to be Backyard Bug of the Day.  So it's a good thing at least a couple of the pictures are decent, or I would have nothing to post at all.

Backyard Bug of the Day:

This is a fruit fly, a species from the genus Eutreta, a native species.

There are three things that I think are cool about this insect. One is its snazzy eyes.

Another thing I like is the shape of the wings. I like the way they can curl them up a bit, although I didn't really get a good shot of that. But they look a lot like airplanes sometimes.

The thing I like best about these flies, though, is the white spots on their dark wings that look like a starry sky.

It's such an unusual look. I really love when I get to see one up close.

Generally, these fruit flies do not sit still for photos. But this one was unusually cooperative. I didn't even have my camera outside when I spotted it, and it stuck around while I went inside to get it. And though it was walking around on the plant a bit while I tried to get pictures, it also would stop for a second or two, and I really thought this was going to be my big change to get REALLY good pictures of it. But...

There was another insect crawling around on the leaf, and it kept walking past my subject and causing it to move in response. So, I got pictures like this one, with my subject moving just as I take the picture, and the annoying interloper a blur in the background. I don't even know what kind of bug that was, but it was an unwelcome addition. Such is the life of an macrophotographer.






No comments:

Post a Comment