Sunday, July 4, 2021

A Nicer Day

 A full week of bad weather (a heat wave followed by several days of rain) have kept me and my camera inside (well, not entirely. I still went for woods walks. But without my camera), but today was both cool, and, eventually, drier, so when I saw a couple of bugs at the end of my woods walk I went in and got my camera to see if they would still be there. One I was certain would be, because it is a caterpillar, but the other one was not so certain. In fact, it is an insect that I have always had a hard time photographing because it's always flying. But today I found it very still, and it stayed put while I got my camera from the house and took photos.

Backyard Bug of the Day:

Snowberry clearwing moth. This is a species of sphinx moth, and I think a hummingbird moth, but the whole hummingbird moth designation is a bit woolly to me. As you can see, this is definitely a bee mimic. Usually when I see these they are flitting from flower to flower, and they don't land, they feed in flight, as hummingbird moths do. 

I wasn't sure at first if this was a moth or a bee fly (I could tell it was not a bee). It's probably hard to tell the size from the pictures, but it's MUCH bigger than a bumblebee.

Here's the other bug from my walk today:

A caterpillar among raspberry buds




No comments:

Post a Comment