Thursday, June 17, 2021

That is the Question

 There is, ironically, a question I have to ask every time I see today's Backyard Bug of the Day: Is this a comma, or a question mark? While I have no difficulty in distinguishing the punctuation marks, I do have trouble remembering which butterfly is which, because they are nearly identical, with only small differences in their markings. 

So here it is, comma or question mark for Backyard Bug of the Day?

Answer to the question: this is an eastern comma butterfly.

This is also the most cooperative eastern comma OR question mark butterfly that I have ever encountered. What a pity I only had my phone when I spotted this on my woods walk, and not my regular camera.

I saw several butterflies today, each of a different species, but this is the only one I was able to photograph.

No comments:

Post a Comment