Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Without Rhyme or Reason

It's late, and I took a lot of pictures today, so I am going to just get to them. I finally took my camera into the woods, and then didn't see many bugs there, but there were quite a number in the backyard (and I did a partial bug walk there), so that's what you're going to see, mostly. I am just going to post them in order, with no rhyme or reason to them.
 

Either a question mark or a comma butterfly. We have been over this...

Technically I did get a look at the underside of the wings, but...

...

... not so that I could see the spots that would help me identify it.

Zoomed in I can see there is a dot. But this is not helping me. I think it's an eastern comma again.

Backyard Bug of the Day:

This appears to be some kind of Hemiptera nymph, and I feel like I should know what it is, but I am not sure. It may just be an aphid. It was crawling around on the back porch steps. It was so tiny I could barely even see it.

Firefly in the woods. We went back after dark to see them light up.

Toad

Another toad

Leaf hopper nymph

I mis-identified this as a snowberry clearwing hummingbird moth egg last week, because I forgot that those are spherical. Now I remember that this is an egg I have never been able to identify, and that every one I have ever seen has failed to hatch. It looks like a tiny dragon egg. Last week it was clear, and now you can see that something is developing inside. I hope that I can finally find out what this is.

Ants have been living underneath the rain gauge, and they get very upset every time I empty it after it rains.

I think these are wasp cocoons.

Red milkweed beetles.

Still no monarch butterflies spotted this year, or caterpillars on the milkweed...

Lady beetle on milkweed bud

Red milkweed beetle

Stinkbug nymph feeding on some kind of bee or fly


Lace bug nymphs, three different instars

Leafhopper nymph

Sawfly larvae

My first thought when I saw this: Finally, the hydrangeas are blooming! My second thought when I saw this: Okay, now I want to see some bugs on here.

We've had about three inches of rain in the last few days, and now there are mushrooms popping up in front of the house.

There are a few baby bunnies that hang around the borders of the field.

Arachnid Appreciation:

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Orchard orb weaver














No comments:

Post a Comment