Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Nature's Feast

I spend a lot of time trying to restore my property to a natural habitat by removing invasive plants, and it makes me happy to see native plants growing in places that I have cleared. I hope that the wildlife, from insects on up are pleased, too, when areas that used to be full of plants that do not feed them now have a nice crop of their natural food sources, like this:

There are wild strawberries all over the field that we are clearing of invasives. Every time I see one of these bright red jewels I feel happy about the work we are doing to restore that habitat. It can be frustrating, because invasive plants can be very hard to eradicate, and we cut them only for them to grow right back, but in a few spots there are native plants that are taking hold, and it's wonderful to see them.

 Backyard Co-Bug of the Day #1:

I have a pretty nice milkweed patch in my backyard, and today when I checked it for signs of monarch caterpillars (there were none), I found this red milkweed beetle.

Here it is pretending to be dead so I will go away. A popular trick for beetles.

Red milkweed beetles have the sweetest little bug faces.


Backyard Co-Bug of the Day #2:

This insect was attracted to the porch light this evening. It may be a yellow sally stonefly, based on an internet search. I have never seen one this color, so this is a new species for me.

There were a lot of bugs on the front porch tonight, mostly june beetles and tiny moths that would not sit still, but also this interesting moth.

Mayfly

Arachnid Appreciation:

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Crab spider sitting at the bottom of the porch steps, looking like it wants a hug




No comments:

Post a Comment