Friday, June 25, 2021

It's a Bug!

 A tiny, momentous event occurred in the backyard today...

The egg hatched!

Backyard Bug of the Day:

It's a bug! A newly hatched leaf footed bug nymph.

When you see insects next to the eggs they have just hatched out of it can be difficult to believe that they fit in there. But in this case, if you look back at the picture I posted of the egg yesterday, you can definitely tell that this is the bug that was in there.

I have noticed that a lot of insects are pale just after molting, and that seems to be the case with this bug after hatching; this is several hours after those first photos, and its color has developed more, especially in the spines on the back end.

Other Bugs:

Lady beetle

Tiny insects caught in a spider web. I couldn't find the spider.

Wasp. I think it's an Ichneumon wasp, and you can see from the ovipositor that it is a female. It was quite small, only about half an inch long.

Beetle

Red milkweed beetle
 

I think red milkweed beetles are adorable, but their color clashes with the milkweed flowers.
 

But they can look very cuddly.

I saw quite a few different Hemiptera nymphs, like this leaf hopper nymph...

... but most of the pictures look like this shot of a buffalo tree hopper nymph.



I have been seeing these tiny moths all over the backyard in the last few days, and this is the only one that has allowed me to get closer than about 3 feet.

Arachnid Appreciation:

Harvestman

Spider egg sac. There was one spiderling dangling from it, but I can't tell if the rest have hatched and gone, or if that spiderling was an early one. Or not at all related to this.

To get a sense of how small this spiderling is, that is the seed head of a grass stalk.



No comments:

Post a Comment