Saturday, November 7, 2020

Two Bees, Or Not Two Bees

 It's a good thing that the chrysanthemums are blooming in my rock garden right now, or I wouldn't have found any bugs on my bug walk today. It was an absolutely gorgeous day, I have no idea why bugs weren't frolicking all over the place, but they weren't. So now enjoy a few pictures of bugs on pretty flowers:

Bugs for everyone! Three sweat bees (including the one on the flower in the background) and a hover fly.



Stilt bug


It is interesting that sometimes insects will share the flowers with no problem, but other times they will chase each other away. Like this progression of shots:

Two hover flies...

... one is supplanted by a sweat bee between clicks of the camera...



... and was eventually scared away by a larger sweat bee. The hover fly stayed, but gave the sweat bee a lot of space.



And that's it. I didn't find any other insects to photograph on my bug walk–in fact, I hardly saw any other insects at all. I didn't see even a single march fly. The only other pictures I took were of spiders, and because of the wind, those came out too blurry to post. I was so looking forward to these warm days, hoping the bugs would be out. But it's been just like this whole year–the bugs are just not there, and I don't know where they have gone.





No comments:

Post a Comment