Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Stay Off the Furniture

 We had a little bit of a storm last night, some rain and wind, and today the temperature had fallen, along with a lot of leaves. It still was perfectly reasonable weather for bugs, but I didn't find very many of them.

Backyard Bug of the Day:

This may be a four-humped stinkbug. I am not completely convinced, comparing it to pictures in bug guides, but it looks very close.

Other Bugs:

This ailanthus webworm is now ensconced in a new web, while another one remains in the old web (and there is another web altogether on an adjacent plant with another one living there).

Today there were only nymph large milkweed bugs around, no adults.

Moth

Male mosquito feeding on nectar, as they do, on asters

Fly on goldenrod

Candy striped leaf hoppers


I don't know why I am sharing this picture. I don't even know why I took it, but here it is: Two slugs propagating their species on my lawn chair. I was not pleased to see this pair on my chair, but I wasn't about to touch them to remove them. I don't know where they plan to deposit that egg sac, but I hope it's not on my chair. Anyway, as you probably know, slugs are not bugs. Or insects. Or even arthropods. They are related to insects only in that both are invertebrates. Slugs are mollusks and gastropods. Full disclosure–I am completely repulsed by slugs:









No comments:

Post a Comment