Friday, September 18, 2020

Foreknowledge

 This morning when I gazed out the window while doing my PT exercises I did not see any insects flitting around the treetops. I saw a few of what I think were bumblebees speed past the window, though. When I stuck my head out the window to see what kind of day it was (much cooler than yesterday, overcast), I only saw one bee in the flowerbed below. So, I knew it would be a less buggy day today. I have given up speculating about why.

Backyard Bug of the Day:

Crane fly. These have been a pretty common sight in my backyard the last couple of weeks. Today one finally let me get close enough for a photo.

Other Bugs:

Cabbage white butterfly

Assassin bug nymph with fly or gnat prey

 

This moth is missing a bit of its wing.

 

Ailanthus webworm moth

 

Large milkweed bug nymphs, I think the last of this brood. There are still a couple of adults that seem to be keeping watch over them.

Weevil. You can just see that it has a bit of leaf that it is eating in its jaws.

Spiders were all around today, small ones. Arachnid Appreciation: 

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.



I think this is a goldenrod crab spider. With hover fly prey.

Another flower crab spider

Six-spotted orb weaver

Harvestman, which is, of course, not a spider.




No comments:

Post a Comment