Thursday, October 3, 2019

Senses

I opened the front door today and my senses gave me conflicting messages about what to expect from my bug walk today: I could see that it was dark and gloomy, I could feel that it was cold, and I could hear a lot of crickets. After reaching a high of 84ºF yesterday, today we only got to 57ºF, and with such a precipitous drop I thought the insects would all be sheltering somewhere, but as soon as I heard all of those crickets, I knew that there were insects out.

In fact, almost right away I saw a cricket:

Backyard CoBug of the Day #1:
 Striped garden caterpillar


Backyard Co-Bug of the Day #2:
 Leafhopper, Scaphytopius acutus

Other Bugs:
 This bee/wasp fell off of a plant. It sat for a few seconds and then flew away.

 Leaf hopper

 This woolly bear was in the same spot as yesterday, on the driveway. I moved it to a safer place.

 Leaf hopper

Brown hooded owlet moth caterpillars:



 Mosquito

 I saw quite a lot of bumblebees today, some of them very still, to be expected when it was so cold, but some of them quite active. I did not see any honeybees.

 Some kind of animal has stitched up this leaf with silk, but I could not tell what was inside.

Milkweed bug nymphs:
 At this stage I cannot tell if these are small milkweed bugs or large milkweed bugs.


Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.


No comments:

Post a Comment