Sunday, October 13, 2019

Approaching Darkness

I didn't completely take the day off. However, today my bug walk was abbreviated by rapidly approaching darkness, so I looked around while I could, and I found a few things. It figures, though, that the first sunny day in a week I was out all afternoon. On the other hand, we had nice weather for our afternoon excursion, so I am not complaining.

The leaves are beginning to change.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 I think this is a green lacewing larva, and if it's not, it is something related. This was a rare opportunity to get a picture where I can see the insect under that pile of debris it carries around as camouflage, or at least the legs and head of the insect.

 The face

Other Bugs:
 Earwig

 Leaf hopper. You may be able to tell from the pictures that dusk was falling. I could adjust the photos for more brightness, but this is a documentary project, and these bugs were all seen in the failing light of day.

 Moth on the front porch, but it was there during the daytime, not because of the porch light. From the antennae I would guess male.

 There were bumblebees on the asters, but they were all pretty stuporous.

This little bee was active, though.

 Plant hopper

I almost walked face first into this swarm of insects. Fortunately, I noticed them in time to avoid that uncomfortable encounter, and was able to get some pictures:
 Okay, a lot of pictures. You are only going to see a fraction of those pictures.

 I think these are crane flies.



 

Brown hooded owlet caterpillars, showing that they don't worry about back pain the way I would if I hung around in such contorted poses:


 This looks like a winter firefly, but it's tiny. I suppose it could be another species of firefly.

 Moth

 Katydid
 Female

 

Ant tending to its leaf hopper herd

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
The rock garden's resident orb weaver was in the middle of its web with a wasp it caught.

This was the first time I was able to approach it from this side without it scurrying up to the top of the web and out of sight. It's still not the best angle, but it's something.







No comments:

Post a Comment