Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Seasonal Rebound

Summer came back today, because our seasons are completely freewheeling.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 I think this is a black blister beetle. As in, that is the name of the species, I am not just describing it. It looks like it has a couple of eggs on its back from some kind of parasitic insect. I generally feel bad for insects when I see that they have parasite eggs or pupae on them, although I know nature has its system, and it's not for me to decide what insects live and die (and they all die eventually). But I felt less bad for this one when I read that the larvae of blister beetles are parasitic.

 When people mention pollinators beetles don't necessarily come to mind, but there are beetles that are pollinators, and this one crawled all over this plant, and was covered in pollen, which it would have been spreading from flower to flower. Kaufman's Field Guide to Insects of North America says these are common on goldenrod, and though there are some goldenrod plants right next to this aster plant, they have nearly past their bloom, so I guess this was more appealing.

 Blister beetles are called blister beetles for their defense mechanism; if you squeeze them (which I would not do), they exude a nasty liquid that will have an unpleasant effect on your skin.

Other Bugs:
 Katydid

 Grasshoppers:

 

 I think this is a squash bug.

 Stinkbug

 Tree cricket

Pollinators doing their thing:
 Bumblebee

 Bumblebee and honeybee

 Virginia ctenucha moth

Woolly bear caterpillars:


 Wasp

Just as I was finishing up my bug walk, and thinking that I had not seen any banded tussock moth caterpillars today, I found this one.

Another frog I almost stepped on

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
This orb weaver has been on a web between the side of the house and a bush for about the last week.












No comments:

Post a Comment