Tuesday, July 25, 2017

It's July?

The impressively buggy streak came to an end. I am thinking the doomy skies and mid-60s-in-July temperature probably had something to do with it. Bugs were hard to find, and mostly things I have seen in the last few days.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Katydid

This week is Moth Week, according to... well, I have no idea. But here's a moth:

 
 And here's another, same species, I think.

 Still trying to figure out what this nymph will become.

Speaking of which...
 Here's a couple of candy striped leaf hoppers.


 
 And this is what I think is a candy striped leaf hopper nymph. I found only one of these yesterday, and today realized that the vines where I found it had quite a few of them.

This is a leaf hopper time of year:
 

 

 
 Can you spot the stinkbug?

 Assassin bug nymph. My husband went out picking raspberries the other day, and ended up with one of these in the bowl with the berries, because they like to hang out on the raspberry plants. He was surprised when he saw it–he has seen pictures of these on my blog, but from the pictures had no idea how small they are. That's the thing about taking pictures of bugs with the macro lens; often you get no sense of scale.

 I think this is an aphid, but it might be something else. Looks like a nymph, though, with undeveloped wings.

 I think this is a tumbling flower beetle. It is on a pokeweed blossom.

 Some kind of nymph, but based on its size, it's probably close to imago (adult) stage.

Back to the subject of what things grow into, I found another white hickory tussock moth caterpillar:

 And I found a much smaller, less hairy caterpillar that I am pretty sure is an earlier instar of the white hickory tussock moth caterpillar.

 Lace bug

 A couple of stinkbugs/shield bugs/some kind of Hemiptera


Fly

The monarch caterpillar I adopted gets visibly bigger every day.


Red-headed ash borer




Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.






No comments:

Post a Comment