Saturday, July 8, 2017

Speeding

Today was a miniature track meet in the backyard, pitting me against a lot of really fast-running bugs. I lost most of the races. I don't know why the bugs were all so speedy today, but they were too fast for me. Case in point:
 This is the best picture I got of this bug, which is too bad, because it would have been Backyard Bug of the Day if I'd managed to get a good shot. This is a new insect for me, and I can't tell what kind of insect it is. It looks sort of beetlish, but sort of not.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
My favorite assassin bug nymph. I have no idea what kind of assassin bug this grows into. I like it because it's blue, and I like that faceted look of the abdomen.

 Here's another.

Other Bugs:

The black-eyed Susans were popular today:



 This is the fastest caterpillar I have ever seen. I only got this shot because it stopped for a minute.

 Moth

 Moth

 Another species of assassin bug nymph

 Weevil

 Crane fly

 Some kind of Hemiptera nymph

 Flower longhorn beetle

 I think this is another species of assassin bug nymph, but I'm not sure.

Tiny cricket

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.


No comments:

Post a Comment