Thursday, July 13, 2017

Darkness in the Afternoon

We had thunder pretty much all afternoon, so I had a brief, dark opportunity to go outside and look for bugs... Well, I went out when I thought the thunder was over (and when the temperature had dropped from the 90s to the 70s over the course of about an hour), had to go back inside, and went out again later (when it was still drizzling), and it was essentially too dark to get good pictures. So I didn't get very many.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
Buffalo tree hopper

I think this used to be its exoskeleton. It was on the same vine, less than 2 inches away.

Other bugs:
The enemy, female.

The enemy, male. In gypsy moths, the sexual dimorphism is really thorough.

Hopper nymph

Sawfly larvae, I think.

Weevils

Caterpillar wrapped up in a milkweed leaf. Far be it for me to begrudge other caterpillars the milkweed, but it's always a little disappointing to find a caterpillar on the monarchs' host plant that is not a monarch caterpillar.

I don't know what's going on here.



No comments:

Post a Comment