Thursday, July 20, 2017

Out In the Heat

What to talk about today...

It's been really hot outside this week, and humid, and pretty much awful, and I don't know if that's what it's like where you live, but regardless, I think you should go outside and have a look around. There hasn't been a single day this week that I have actually wanted to step outside my door, but I go out every day because I write this blog, and I have to have things to write about–or at least pictures to post when I don't have anything to say, and just want to show you what's out there. But the last couple of days my bug walks have been kind of frustrating, not because it's so icky outside, but because there are so many really cool bugs that I just miss getting pictures of. They don't want to sit still, and I don't get the shot, and I get annoyed and frustrated, and think that I am having a terrible bug walk, and no success at all, but then when I sit down to write this, and am going through my pictures, I've already forgotten (most of) the ones that got away, and I am only reminded of the really interesting and beautiful things I have seen. But even so, I did see those other interesting and beautiful things. But you don't get to see them, because I didn't get to post pictures of them. So I think you should go outside and look around. Now, you're not going to see the same things that I missed getting pictures of. But you might see other interesting and beautiful things, and you might see things that I have never seen at all. If you are interested in insects and nature, and I presume you are if you are reading this, then it's worthwhile to brave the ickiness for a few minutes at least to see what's out there.

 First, another picture of mushrooms. I wish I had posted a picture of this cluster yesterday, because then you would see how noticeably bigger they are today. Also, it is possible that these are all technically one organism, if my understanding of mushrooms is correct.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 This is not just a piece of fluff. It is a piece of fluff that walks around on its own, and has the nickname "aphid wolf."

 
This is (I think) a green lacewing larva. Some green lacewing larvae pile various kinds of debris (including, sometimes, bits of dead bugs) on their backs in order to hide from predators, and, according to Insects of New England and New York, by Tom Murray, to better sneak up and eat aphids without being attacked by the ants that protect aphids. Here you can see its tail end, and a bit of its legs...

 And a peek at its face...


 
 Face magnified



 Here it has fallen over on its back, so you can see its body, from underneath.


And while we're on the subject of insects (specifically larvae) that pile debris on themselves to camouflage themselves...
 Here's a looper caterpillar that does the same thing.


 The sumac flowers were practically deserted today. This wasp and two flies were the only insects around.

I found a couple of damselflies in the woods:

 I don't think it's the same insect, because this one has a slightly twisted wing.

Also found a couple of hopper nymphs:

 
 Cool eyes


 Firefly

 Eastern tiger swallowtail butterfly, female, feeding on purple coneflower.



 
 Thick-headed fly, also on purple coneflower

 Jagged ambush bug. I think this may have been the first time I saw one of these fly. I think it flew to this milkweed because it was after a bumblebee that had just flown there, but it did not catch the bee. I think it was a terribly ambitious plan, if that's what it was thinking.

 Ants with the remains of a moth or butterfly

 I can't remember the name of this butterfly (elfin something? Woodland something?) and I am not going to look it up because I am annoyed that it wouldn't let me get closer than this.

 I need to investigate further, but this might be an immature leaf-footed bug. Note that it is missing one of its hind legs.

 I have been trying for over a year to get a good picture of this species of bee...

 ... and I'm still trying.

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 Daddy-long-legs

I think this prey is out of your league, spider.






No comments:

Post a Comment