Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Home

I'm sorry, but I have a horrible headache, and am going to have to put off writing today's blog until tomorrow. My backyard has transformed since I was last able to have a walk there, and it is wonderful. The trees are fully leafed out, and there are many flowers in bloom. I had a wonderful time on my trip, but I am happy to be home.

I got here in time to see the irises blooming.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
It's hard not to feel like the bugs are welcoming me back when I opened my front door in the morning and found this on the screen. It stayed there all day.

 Quite a beautiful moth.


What I found out the back door was less welcome:
 The tree growing through the back porch is covered with gypsy moth caterpillars. Sigh. I guess all the rain in the last month has not activated the fungus that is supposed to kill them. Here you can see that one of them has shed its skin.

The backyard was full of caterpillars today:


 





 I'm not sure if these are not-yet-hatched caterpillars, but that's what it looks like.

There were other insects, too:
 Beetle

 Some kind of Hemiptera

 Hover fly


 Moth

 Ants tending their aphids

 Six-spotted tiger beetle. These are so shy this year, I can't seem to get closer than this.

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.



No comments:

Post a Comment