Monday, May 29, 2017

Late Night at the Light

Sorry for the lack of post yesterday; I went out for the day in the morning and didn't get home until dark. I put on the porch light to try to attract bugs, but all that came by were a few non-descript, beige moths that did not want to sit still to have their picture taken. Until after midnight, that is, when there were more interesting and cooperative moths, but that made them bugs for today. It's a good thing, too, because it rained all day today, so I couldn't do a bug walk (and yet I was greeted the moment I walked out the door to go get the newspaper by a gypsy moth caterpillar dangling from the roof of the porch. Blech).

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 I think this is a tiger moth, possibly a harnessed tiger moth. If you look at where the wings come together you get a hint of the fact that it is a bit more colorful on its underwings.

 You may remember this one from a couple of days ago, when it was on the screen of the door all day. There were at least seven of them on the porch last night.

 This one had its wings spread, showing its delicate underwings.

 It might be a spotted tussock moth, but it doesn't look enough like the picture in my book for me to think that is a good identification.

 No idea what this one is.

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment