Tuesday, April 11, 2017

The Difference a Day Makes

It pains me to say it, but today the backyard's offerings were a big letdown compared to yesterday. I don't know if it was because it was hot (in the 80s today!), or because I went out later in the afternoon, but I didn't find anywhere near the numbers of bugs, or the variety.

I did witness something curious, though, and I have some terrible pictures to show you:
 I happened to look up and saw a flock of birds in their classic V formation, flying more or less north. Ah, heading north because it's spring, I thought.

 Then a few seconds later, they suddenly broke up the V and turned around and started flying in the opposite direction!

 And then they started flying in circles! I have no idea what this means for the seasons, but it's worrisome (Just kidding. This is Connecticut. We have different seasons almost every day).

 This is a much more encouraging sign. Leaves! This is one of the flowering crab apple trees.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Ever since the flowers in the rock garden have begun to bloom I have been on the lookout for a bumblebee, and finally, today I saw one!

 Beetle of some kind

 Stink bug

 When we came home this evening there were about ten or so ichneumon wasps on the back porch. I have never seen such a gathering. I assume this was a social event.

 This moth was on the floor next to the door. It's lucky not to have been stepped on.

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.


No comments:

Post a Comment