Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Sprouts

The bug bonanza that I was expecting after the bountiful day earlier this week has not materialized. I didn't find much yesterday, and I found even less today. It was warm, but not sunny, and I did go out later in the afternoon, but still. I was expecting a lot more of the last couple of days.

Spring progresses, nevertheless:
 Canada mayflowers have sprouted in the woods.

Spring ephemerals are blooming. So far I have only found this tiny patch of bluets, but any blooming flower is a joy to me now. Still waiting for dandelions, though.

Future hazelnuts? I have been concerned about the hazelnuts, because they bloomed right before the cold snap last month, and I didn't know if that would affect pollination. If these are developing nuts, and not just leaves, then I guess it worked out okay. Time will tell...

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Some kind of fly

Random Bugs:
 Tiny bee on a rock

 Stilt bug (or something like that). I have lately developed a keenly awkward ability to photograph bugs at the exact moment they are excreting something.

 Weevil

Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

 It looks dead, but this spider was alive, and agile.

No comments:

Post a Comment