Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Quick, Some Bugs!

I'm getting a late start, and I am tired, so let's get right to the bugs. I do have a deadline, and even if it's arbitrary, I am sticking to it.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 I think I have seen this bug before with bigger antennae, which could be a male/female difference.



Posted just for the color, which is apparently different from different angles.

Backyard Bud of the Day:
Actually, these look more like seed cones, but I am going with it. Because these are on the hazelnut bush, and are clearly not hazelnuts, so I am saying they are buds of some kind.

Some interesting webs:
 Not a web, per say, but more of that silk on the side of a tree that I have seen before.

This one is a web.

More hoppers:
 Nymph. I am guessing candy striped, but don't hold me to that.

 Can you see all three?


Bees:
 A very optimistic bee (or wasp? I still don't know the difference), trying to get nectar from flowers that withered and died ages ago.

Recognize this bee? I posted a picture of it yesterday. It has not moved since. I am not even sure if it's alive.

Random caterpillar:

And that's it for today... except for Arachnid Appreciation. There are some pretty creepy spiders today, so, you've been warned:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
As I said I would, I went out last night to check on the spiders. Three of them were building webs for the night.
Here's what the new spider was doing:
 The new spider is much smaller than the others, but they all look like the same species. Which is not in either of my bug books, by the way.

 Here's one of the other spiders (I call this spider #3, because it's the third one I found), building its web.

 The spider was hanging from a table I was about to spray paint. I thought it was a bit of dried grass or other plant matter at first, but then I realized what it was.

 Closer look. I relocated it to a nearby tree before painting.

 Jumping spider with prey (which was still moving. Ugh).

Another jumping spider.

No comments:

Post a Comment