Saturday, August 2, 2014

A Really Big Bug

Sometimes I read the weather forecasts and figure that I am not going to be able to go out and find any bugs, because it is supposed to be raining all day. And we need rain, so I can't really complain when it does, but it never rains very long, or very much, in spite of what the forecasts say, so I have been lucky most of the time. Today, for instance.

It rained:
 But not much, and not for long.

Just enough to put pretty little water droplets everywhere.

However, all of the bugs seemed to be in hiding (and I would too, if I was a bug), until, I found a spectacular bug.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
 What is so spectacular about this bug?

 Well, it's kind of huge, at least by Connecticut standards.


 Fierce looking mandibles.

It's obviously a beetle, but there are several beetles in my bug book that look kind of the same, so I don't know which one it is.


 Amazing eyes.



Backyard Bud of the Day:
Kind of anticlimactic after that bug.

I found something mildly mysterious:
 I have obviously seen a lot of leaves with cocoon-like structures on them, but this one is bigger than usual. I wonder what's inside...

And something suspenseful:
  Bee on one side of the plant, ambush bug on the other... (I went by later and the bee was on the next plant over. If it was the same bee).

Something comical:

Something weird and wonderful:

And something colorful:

Now for some Arachnid Appreciation:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.


 Spotted this little spider on a balloon flower...

 Then I realized there were two spiders on the same flower.




No comments:

Post a Comment