Wednesday, August 6, 2014

A Few Somethings

The bugs seem to have a conspiracy this week to make it hard for me to find anything in the backyard. Actually, that's probably not true, I saw a lot of bugs today. But since most of them were flying, I didn't get to take pictures of a lot of them. So, there's not much to see here today. But there's always something...

I did finally find a Backyard Bug of the Day:
 I thought it looked like a stinkbug, but it's not in my book, so, who knows?

 It's obviously a Hemiptera, though, because look at that sucker!

 It could be the adult version of that exoskeleton that was standing on the porch yesterday.

 Anyway, it's cool, and I have never seen one before, so it was good to find.

Backyard Bud of the Day:

Suddenly these caterpillars are everywhere:

 These are on two different trees...

And one on the side of the house.

I see a lot of things in the yard that I can't identify, but I don't mean just that I don't know the species of a bug or plant, but I just don't even know what I am looking at:
 Seed? Bug egg? It's tiny - a few millimeters. Stuck to a leaf. No idea what it is.

This is not quite as confusing, but that white thing is a bit baffling. Obviously it's a bug, but it is a live bug, or just an exoskeleton? Or... something...

Random bug:
Another possible stink bug.


And a feather, just because I like feathers:

And that's all I've got today. No spiders or other arachnids. And in case you have been wondering, the butterfly has still not emerged from the chrysalis. I really hope it's okay, and that it is not planning to overwinter in there...



No comments:

Post a Comment