Saturday, June 7, 2014

Magic

In the summer, at a certain point in the downward arc of the sun, there is a moment when I am pretty sure my backyard is magic.

You can't really see them in this picture, but the 'fairies' are flying around there. Nothing magical has ever actually happened there, that I know of, but I can sense it. I am pretty sure there are unicorns who visit.

Earlier in the afternoon, when I did my bug walk, it was considerably less magical. I was followed around almost the whole time I was outside by flies who were buzzing around my head. Very, very, very annoying. I almost went inside without finding any of the pictures I needed.  And I accidentally squashed two flies on my face, which is a very gross thing to do.

So, I don't like all bugs.

This one was cute, though, so that's why it is Backyard Bug of the Day:
 Well, that plus I have never seen one like this before. Another striking color combo, black and white, and red, and copper.

 From the pictures it seems to have something wrong with its right rear leg, but it certainly gives it a jaunty look.

The underside is red.

I had a hard time finding a Backyard Bud of the Day, but here it is:
Deptford pinks. Some day I will figure out how to take pictures of this color without them looking like this...

No Daily Dandelion today. I didn't see any.

I did see this:
A damselfly. I see a lot of dragonflies in the yard, but hardly ever any damselflies, so it was cool to see this. It would have been cooler to see it closer, but there was a great deal of poison ivy and thorns between me and where it landed. And that leaf, of course.

I also saw this:
The moth from yesterday. Apparently the spider venom did kill it. And now the ants have it. Life goes on.

And on that note:


On the subject of what happens between birth and death - growth:
The discarded exoskeleton of a leaf hopper, I believe. You can see where it is split in the back for the bug to climb out when it molts. It would be so cool to actually see this happen...


Here's someone else who has some growing to do:

Last but not least, Arachnid Appreciation!
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I love green spiders.





No comments:

Post a Comment