Monday, June 30, 2014

Blending In

It is ridiculous how excited I get about insignificant things. Like actually finding a cool bud in the backyard today.

Backyard Bud of the Day:
I don't know what it is, because it doesn't look like anything I've had in the yard before, so it is probably something from whatever wildflower mix I strewed about this year. It's pretty big (it kind of looks sunflowerish), so it's kind of amazing I didn't notice it before today. There is a second stem right next to it that has been chomped (just like all of the purple coneflowers! Why, deer, why?), so there could have been two, but there's only one. Now for the wait to find out what it is when it blooms.

Backyard Bug of the Day:
It's not flashy. But it represents something, which is a change in perception for me. Before I started looking closely at the bugs in my backyard, I had only once ever seen a bug shaped like this. I thought it was really bizarre. (I also named it Darcybug. Long story). Now I know that there are many, many bugs that look like this - by which I mean bugs with this shape. I used to have a very narrow perception of what bugs look like - I knew about ants, bees, beetles, butterflies. But I had never thought about what else was out there. And now I know there are a lot of bugs that look like this, and a lot of bugs that look really strange, and a lot of bugs that are really beautiful. And literally about 20,000 species of bees. Not that I have seen anywhere near 20,000 species of bees in my yard. But I have probably seen more than a dozen. And before all of this, I had probably only noticed that there were about three. Anyway, I think this bug is rather pretty. It is kind of pearlescent. I would guess it is some kind of Hemiptera, but I didn't look closely at the mouthparts.

I spotted a praying mantis again today:
 Can you see it?

How about now? Actually, the only reason I spotted it the first time is because it was moving.

And speaking of blending in:
 The caterpillar's new look reflects a new means of self defense. Before it avoided being eaten by looking like something no one wants to eat. Now it avoids being eaten by blending in with its background. As far as I know it still spent all day sitting in its hammock, though I did see it stretch out and move its front end around a couple of times.

I am not sure how looking like a weird cartoon character helps with defense. (Actually, yes, I do, it's the eye spot).

Then there are other young bugs that rely on safety in numbers:
I have no idea what these were, because this branch was about 7 feet up, and I am only 5'4". But something hatched recently (probably sawfly larvae. Seriously, they are everywhere).

I believe that this exact cluster of flowers was once featured as Backyard Bud of the Day:
I feel like there should be something profound to say about that, but it would probably just be depressing.

And speaking of flowers that have gone to seed:
 Foxgloves look like they are blooming all over again with adorable, cartoony, green flowers.

Sometimes I have to wonder, am I watching the bugs, or are they watching me?
It is sort of the reflection of the ring flash that makes this happen, but not entirely. It still looks like the bugs are staring even without it.

I found a lovely spider for Arachnid Appreciation today:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 Look out, tiny tree cricket! (If that's what you are).

 Whew! Didn't see you...


That's an impressive set of chelicerae. They look especially venomous.






No comments:

Post a Comment