Sunday, June 29, 2014

Caterpillar's Big Day

Good news, Backyard Bug enthusiasts! I have figured out what kind of caterpillar the bird poop-like caterpillar is - a tiger swallowtail! This is one that I had suspected it might be, but as you know, I stink at research. However, today it changed to a new instar (the stages of a caterpillar's life are called instars. No, I don't know why), and that clinched the identification for me. This is exciting, because the tiger swallowtail is a very pretty butterfly, and maybe it is wrong of me, but I am happy it is going to be a pretty butterfly instead of a drab, brown moth. You'd be amazed at the number of wild, colorful caterpillars that turn into drab, brown moths. Those moths have a coolness factor of their own, but I confess to loving bright colors much better. So, I am psyched about the caterpillar.

In honor of the caterpillar's new instar I am making it Backyard Bug of the Day. I am pretty sure that in spite of being shown here several times, and my having written about it, this caterpillar has not actually been Backyard Bug of the Day before. However, it would be okay if it has, because transforming into a new look qualifies it to be repeated. It's not as big a deal as changing from a caterpillar into a butterfly, but it still counts. I am going to give you quite a few pictures of it, because I want to show a progression of what it has looked like over a few days. So...

Backyard Bug of the Day:
This is three days ago, on June 26. Brown and white, shiny, tiny blue dots. Hanging out on the hammock. This is the same day that it was standing straight up for some reason.

This is what it looked like yesterday, June 28.

Then this morning, it was looking weird - duller (it's usually kind of shiny), wrinkled, and it was moving strangely, sort of rippling.
 It's head was sticking out more than usual. My assumption is that this was a moult, where it sheds its skin in order to be able to grow larger. It almost looks as if part of the body is sticking out, too, and is pink?




I observed the process on and off for over half an hour, but then I had to leave for the afternoon.

When I came home, it looked like this:
Quite the transformation! It's mostly green now, the body is a different shape, and the blue spots on its back have become more obviously eye spots (which are false eyes).

This is apparently the beginning of the fourth instar (out of five). I didn't see any shed skin, but if it is like the monarch caterpillars, it ate the skin after it moulted (protein!).  From what I have seen, this caterpillar is going to have to do a lot of eating and growing for the next instar!

Backyard Bud of the Day:
I think this is goldenrod. For all the goldenrod we get here, you'd think I would recognize the leaves...

Lavender is looking good:

Now that the beetle has moved on, here's a better look at the eggs she laid yesterday:

And some better shots of the mating candy striped leaf hoppers:

Some have much more vivid colors than others. These are pretty spectacular.

I found a praying mantis today that, while still quite young, seems to be maturing in its behavior. I have noticed that baby mantids are very skittish, and will quickly flee or hide when approached. Adults don't really do that much. They just turn their heads very deliberately and stare at you. Honestly, it can be kind of unnerving. Cool, but unnerving. Well, I found this youngster today, not quite two inches long, I'd say, but it didn't flee...
It turned its head and gave me the Mantis Stare. Well done, young mantis.

A cute Backyard Visitor today:
We've had woodchucks in the yard for years, but this is the first time I have one this year, so it's good to know they're still around (as long as they stay out of the vegetable garden).






No comments:

Post a Comment