Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Nuts

 I walked outside to go for my walk today and encountered today's Backyard Bugs of the Day on a tree, almost at eye level. I do so enjoy when I don't have to work hard to find something.

Backyard Bugs of the Day:

These might be walnut caterpillars, one of the datana family. And that might be a walnut tree. I don't know, I am terrible at tree identification. It has never had nuts on it before, but it is a fairly young tree.

By the time I got back from my walk all of those caterpillars on the left were over on the right.

I didn't do a bug walk, in part because by the time I went out today it was heading toward dusk. So that is all I have for insects. But while I was inside, sitting on the couch, I saw a spider zoom upward in front of the living room window, and realized it may be working on a web out there. So I climbed up onto the window seat, and now I have a cool spider for Arachnid Appreciation:

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

This orb weaver was climbing up a thread and then sort of tumbling back down like an acrobat doing an aerial silk routine. With actual silk.









Then she started climbing up, gathering the thread up. She will then have eaten it. I should have checked later to see if she built a web there.



No comments:

Post a Comment