Sunday, September 26, 2021

Mimic

 When you're thinking about planting a garden, make sure that you have flowers that will bloom in the fall. Not only will it extend the beauty of your garden, but it will provide food for pollinators up until the frost. Most of what blooms in my backyard are wildflowers, and I think there may be more flowers blooming now than there were in the spring or summer. And the pollinators are loving it. 

I didn't do a bug walk today, but when I was outside for a while I saw a bug that drove me to go in for my camera (I intended to do a bug walk later, but it was one of those days that don't turn out the way you intended).

Backyard Bug of the Day:

A fly that looks like a bee. This is a species of flower fly, and even knowing that at a few angles when I was taking pictures I thought it was a bee. But you can tell by the eyes, and by the fact that bees have two pairs of wings.

I took this picture a couple of days ago after the rain stopped:

I think this is a woolly bear caterpillar, but the stripe at one end, instead of just a solid black end is new to me. It was pretty small, and I would expect it to be bigger by this time of year. I don't know what those blister-like bumps are on its back.


No comments:

Post a Comment