Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Right or Wrong

I have no problem admitting when I am wrong, and I was wrong yesterday. I posted a picture of lady beetle eggs that I said must have just been laid that day because I had not seen them before, but today I found out that they were definitely NOT just laid yesterday. How do I know?

They hatched. But wait, no, I may not have been wrong! I just looked it up, and lady beetle eggs hatch in 2-10 days (based on the temperature, apparently), and what I actually said about it yesterday was that they had been laid after my bug walk the previous day, so if they hatched this afternoon/tonight, that would be two days, and I would be right. So... they may or may not have been there unnoticed by me. Anyway, these are tiny babies; if you look carefully you can see some aphids out of focus in the picture, and compare the sizes. You can't really see the eggs because they are all piled on top of them.

I didn't do a bug walk because I was away all day, but I did go for a woods walk late in the evening and wished I had my camera along, because there were a lot of bugs in the woods. However, I did find this katydid on the back porch when we got back:


 

No comments:

Post a Comment