Thursday, August 26, 2021

Heat

It was so hot and humid today that I didn't even go for  woods walk. I couldn't bear even the thought of being so sweaty. BUT! I have some bugs anyway.

Backyard Bug of the Day:

I think this is a new cricket species for me. It was on the front porch when we came home from running an errand tonight. I was disappointed to see so few insects attracted to the light, but at least I had this cool, new one.

Other Bugs:

Net-winged beetle, seen when I went out to get the mail. It did not move at all when I came in close to take its picture. I don't think it likes this weather either.

I don't know if this is the lady beetle that eclosed yesterday on the back porch tree, but it could be; that's where I saw it.

I had a shirt drying on the garden fence and went out rather late in the evening to get it. I discovered that I had left it too long and it was wet again from dew, and also there was a female katydid on it.

Since I had brought the camera outside to take a picture of the katydid I looked around to see if I could find any other bugs. I didn't last long because of mosquitoes (and, for the record, it was still hot and humid), and I wasn't finding things anyway, except for this:

Assassin bug nymph
 

Also out in the dark I found a single spider for Arachnid Appreciation:

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Goldenrod crab spider. On goldenrod.




No comments:

Post a Comment