Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Technical Difficulties [Resolved. More or Less]

 Today is August 12, and I was finally able to finish this post from a few weeks ago. I am not happy with the new interface of the blog, and it might drive me nuts trying to catch up on my posts, but we'll see what happens. Anyway, here is the finished post. The only part I actually wrote on July 15 was the next sentence.

I don't really have an intro tonight.

Backyard Co-Bug of the Day #1: Grasshopper nymph. I think this is a new species of grasshopper for me:

 

I saw this on my woods walk, so the pictures were taken with my phone.

Backyard Co-Bug of the Day #2:

A pair of thick-headed flies. The female is to the right, slightly larger, with the long ovipositor.

Other Bugs:

Also seen on my woods walk: milkweed tussock moth caterpillars on the small milkweed patch in the woods.

ALSO seen on my woods walk: I think these two dragonflies might be male and female of the same species:


Bumblebee on lavender

 

One of my favorite things about this species of katydid nymphs is that I so often find them on bright flowers.


I think this is two instars of the same species of leaf hopper. To the left, that white blur I think is the exuvia that the adult hopper has recently emerged from.

Dangly caterpillar, climbing up a silk thread:



A couple of different instars of a leaf hopper nymph.


Backyard Amphibian of the Day:


Arachnid Appreciation:

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Orchard spider on pokeweed buds.



No comments:

Post a Comment